CudaText vs SynWrite

sl23

CudaText vs SynWrite

Post by sl23 »

I just came across CudaText and wondered... why? What is the difference between the two? Are you planning switching development to CudaText and sending SynWrite to Abandonware? Personally I love Synwrite and hope it continues to be developed. It has many features missing from CudaText, plus the monospaced font in CudaText is annoying! But I suppose it's early days yet?!
Live for an ideal and leave no place in the mind for anything else.
miro.matas

Post by miro.matas »

Absolutely agree!!! SynWrite is Great, not only text editor, it is "must be" tool for my everyday work… Will be sad, if SynWrite will be closed, and even if I respect that CudaText is just very early adopter… There was hundreds small "plus" over the "minus" in comparing SynWrite vs. CudaText. not - I love SynWrite, I adore SynWrite! Please stay on SynWrite live…
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

>to CudaText and sending SynWrite to Abandonware?

See situation: i don't have yet license to DelphiXE.
Buy me license to D XE 10 and I continue doing Synw. now I can't continue it. yet.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

OK, I see. You didn't actually answer my questions, so I'll make the assumption that synwrite is likely to be dropped in favour of cudatext. Perfectly understandable! But maybe you could've just kept the name synwrite and called it version 7?

Can't thank you enough for your work on synwrite, hopefully you plan on reproducing all of synwrite into cudatext? I'm perfectly happy with synwrite anyway. My needs are relatively simple compared to the features on offer!

My only problems with cudatext are the mono~spaced font is really distracting, and I'd like the menu bar to be a toolbar as it is in synwrite. This last one sounds petty but is helpful for lower res screens as the gui takes up a little less space.

Thanks again for your excellent programs Alexey, all the best for the future.
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

>But maybe you could've just kept the name synwrite and called it version 7

Synw not dropped. It is still version 6
I may/will continue if I get ok Delfi license...
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Is there a need for both? If CudaText is basically a functional replicatant of SynWrite, why not just concentrate on CudaText as it is cross platform? Hopefully CudaText can be made to work/act/look the same as SynWrite?

Is there a way to change the Font spacing in CudaText? The mono-spacing is disturbing! :twisted:

All the best
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

Yes u can change font and line-spacing: see Default cfg file
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Nope, I don't see it. I know font's can be changed and the size, but in CudaText e v e r y t h i n g l o o k s l i k e t h i s a n d i t ' s v e r y a n n o y i n g!
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

what is user config? u select font using Options menu?
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Alexey wrote:what is user config? u select font using Options menu?
Not sure I understand correctly? What is user config? What does that mean exactly?

Yes I can change the font in options menu but I still get the mono-spacing a s d e s c r i b e d a b o v e.

Could it be a bug? I'm using Windows 10 if that makes a difference.

Thanks