Editor Focus

qwerky

Editor Focus

Post by qwerky »

When using commands to show Side/Bottom panels (show Tree, Project, Tabs, etc.) the focus seems to get lost; should be something to indicate where the caret/focus is.

Please provide a command/hotkey to set the focus to the Edit panel (whichever group/tab was most recently active).
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

I cannot reproduce this. I focused editor, pressed F1 and called commands
-show side panel
-hide side panel
-toggle side/bottom panel
-show project panel
-show side panel, tree

and caret it still inside editor tab. ie focus in editor.
qwerky

Post by qwerky »

Alexey wrote:I cannot reproduce this. I focused editor, pressed F1 and called commands
-show side panel
-hide side panel
-toggle side/bottom panel
-show project panel
-show side panel, tree

and caret it still inside editor tab. ie focus in editor.
Okay, so I am using 64-bit version. Show/Hide Side Panel, and Toggle side/bottom panel (I use the toggles) work okay. But it is when using Show Specific Panel (Project, Console, etc.) that focus disappears.

1. Start CudaText fresh with both side/bottom panels hidden.
2. Use F1 or hotkey to "Show Tabs List."
Result: Tabs List is shown in side panel; there is no cursor/caret in editor, but the current tab in the list is highlighted. Pressing most keys does nothing, but press Up Arrow or Down Arrow, and the tab in the list is changed, and the actual tab in the editor is also changed to the previous/next tab, and focus is returned to editor. This happens on first use.

On subsequent uses:
1. Hide side panel.
2. Use F1 or hotkey to "Show Tabs List."
Result: Tabs List is shown in side panel; there is no cursor/caret in editor, but a tab in the list is highlighted--it is not the current tab, but appears to be the tab that was moved to in the sequence above. Pressing most keys does nothing, but press Up Arrow or Down Arrow, and the tab in the list is changed, but the actual tab in the editor does not change; focus is returned to editor.

Use F1 or hotkey to "Show Project Panel" and the project panel is properly shown, but only the first time. Change to Tree or to Tabs, after which "Show Project Panel" no longer shows the project panel, though it does make the side panel visible if it is hidden.

Use of Show Console/Output/Validation/SearchResults does show the bottom panel, if it is hidden, and does show the Console panel, but focus is lost. I can't find any key that returns focus to editor, except to toggle (hide) the bottom panel.

For me, these are working this way consistently. I hope using some of these steps, you can reproduce some of this behaviour (and hopefully correct it :lol: .)

But in any case, there really needs to be a "Focus Editor" command.
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

"Show Proj panel": fixed, thanks for report. and removed "Focus proj panel" commd.
"Show Tabs list" and focus lost: cannot see on Linux. will try Win10 later..
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

Added "Focus editor" cmd, but test don't show it: if i run commnd from Console focused, console takes focus after many commands.
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

>and does show the Console panel, but focus is lost. I can't find any key that returns focus to editor, except to toggle (hide) the bottom panel.

Focus lost: you mean focus goes to console. It is ok. hotkey Ctrl+tick must focus console input. You can press ESC to go to editor
qwerky

Post by qwerky »

Alexey wrote:Added "Focus editor" cmd, but test don't show it: if i run commnd from Console focused, console takes focus after many commands.
Glad you are working on this! ;)
qwerky

Post by qwerky »

Alexey wrote:>and does show the Console panel, but focus is lost. I can't find any key that returns focus to editor, except to toggle (hide) the bottom panel.

Focus lost: you mean focus goes to console. It is ok. hotkey Ctrl+tick must focus console input.
Yes, sorry, focus does go to console input; that is okay.
You can press ESC to go to editor
Yes, but ESC simply hides the bottom panel (which then returns focus to editor). It is okay that it does so, but would be better if it were consistent. ESC hides bottom panel only when Console is shown; not when Output/Validation/SearchResults are shown. [And as far as I can determine, ESC never hides the side panel, regardless of what it is showing.]

In fact, I'm not sure what Output/Validation/SearchResults are supposed to do, since when I activate (by F1, or by hotkey) either Output or Validation, the bottom panel simply becomes blank. When I (try to) activate Search Results (by F1, or by hotkey), nothing happens--no change occurs in bottom panel, it continues to show whatever it was currently showing.
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

See option ui_esc_close_console..
Output/Valid panels are used by HTML Tidy plug.